Welcome to Darkside Daily

When I'm not writing about my experiences in this journey called 'life', I'm singing and uploading my own interpretations of modern music. Click on "Cover Songs" to hear them, or on the YouTube logo on the right to see my YouTube channel.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

To gym, or not to gym.. That is the question

Fashion. I am the last person who can write anythin on fashion. I probably know as much about fashion as Robert Mugabe does on economics. Show me haute couture and I'll show you how-I-cut-your fingers off with a blunt instrument.

But what I DO know is that as much as it is about the clothes on the outside, it also involves the body underneath. Too often have i seen low-waist jeans on girls that didnt' HAVE a waist.

Now, I've been going to the gym for about 6 months, and people still laugh when I tell them I'm not working out to 'look good' and 'get the girls' (that sadly is a lost cause). It is the truth, however. I have long since given up the desire to possess 50 cents' chest or Usher's abs. But I was a member of my college basketball team for all my college years, and I still hold on to the (rather silly) hope that my basketball playing days are not over. That and the fact that if I didn't, mom's cooking would result in me walking around with a continent hanging off my belly.

If you enjoy playing the 'people' game as much as I do, the gym is a great spot! Here you will find all sorts of specimens, men and women, young and old, the bulldogs and the ballerinas. Some have a legitimate need to lose weight or stay in shape, and of course there are those who just want to give it a shot and see if they're the next Arnold-in-hiding.

But then there are the weird ones. For them, its the uncontrollable urge to get more 'buff'. My friend would be a prime candidate for this category; just the other day he told me how he'd lost tone cos he hadn't come to the gym for 3 days. He then proceeded to bench press twice the weight I was lifting as I quietly and almost apologetically shuffled out of the room. And then there's my personal favourite, the "ooh im soo fat!" syndrome. Just recently two girls joined the gym; they can't be more than 20, and they both look to be in stunning shape. And yet they come day in and day out, working out exercise after exercise, machine after machine. But why?! They are both working girls, they have no need to lose weight (they probably have the combined weight of a slightly malnourished American) and they look great. So why waste time and energy at the gym, lifting weights as if they're dress size depended on it?

Maybe I'll go ask them next time.. Only thing is, they'd probably look at my faded T-shirt, red headband and multi-coloured tracks and think I was a time traveller from the 80's....

3 comments:

Gabutooch said...

wrong. maybe , just maybe , those girls u were talking about were there for fitness sake.. and im saying this with the backing of atleast a 100 people that vouch i am skinny-malnourished-yeah whatever! .. i go to the gym thrice a week, and i work out on every cardi contraption there is, do weights, aerobics, yes all the jazz... simply because at the end of it all, i feel energized, fitter and heck i need the exercise... :)

Sabby said...

Gyms are a phase. It's the whole 'Ooooh I go to Blah Blah Fitness...where do you go?! oh THERE?! Really? WHY?!' euphoria. The whole gym phase will vanish and people will go back to 'wishing' they were working out instead of sitting under a mango tree, eating a fat sandwich...

Gym's are what 'headbands' (ahem) used to be in the 90's! =P

Charm Bracelet said...

I agree with Alicia. It's to be fit and not be a slob. I'm pro-gym or any form of exercise for that matter... if it were just a phase, then I'd break the record for the grand mummy of all phases!!! :D Lol!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...